Thursday, April 13, 2017

Storytelling Week 12: Death Day

Knowing when you're going to die isn't as horrible as it sounds. 
Since I was eight years old, I have known the day when my life will end. Of course, my parents have known since I was first born. You see, when a fairy is first born, at least my kind of fairy, an elder comes in and announces that fairy's death day also. It's somewhat ironic, that on one's birth their death is also announced. 
The only thing that isn't known, even by the elders, is how that fairy will die. Now, if a fairy is old enough, it is most likely they will die peacefully of old age and will be able to live a long, happy life. That is how most fairies die here. There is not much danger around to threaten us, and we are immune to sickness. 
Still, there are a few who die much earlier and much more tragically. Some deaths are accidental and some are intentional, and no matter how hard they try, a fairy cannot escape his or her death. 
It would just happen that I am one of the lucky few who die early. Now, I'm sure this should scare me, and at times it does make me sad that I will not live past my 25th birthday (which is actually very young for fairies). There's so much I will not be able to do because of this.
However, there is something about knowing your death that makes life so much more precious, and exciting. Knowing when you are going to die means you won't die until that moment. You're invincible. The fairies who are able to live a long life do it normally, and that's so boring. They could be just as invincible as I, yet they choose to stay at home because they have their whole lives to live, and adventure doesn't seem to be high on their list of things to accomplish. 



My adventure is coming to an end, though. I am twenty-five now, and I only have a few days left. My life has consisted of traveling and exploring and doing things which j may not have been able to do if I were not "invincible." However, I wanted to spend my last days with my family. My parents are the only two who know when I am going die, and I could tell for a few months now that it was not easy for them. My mother would often look at me while she thought I wasn't aware. Today I finally brought it up.
"What are you thinking?" I ask her. She blinks, as if coming out of a trance.
"What was that, Keena?"
"You know it's coming. I was just wondering what you think about it."
My mother came to side beside me and took my hand. "It's not easy, looking at you and knowing I won't be able to look at you much longer. You are my light, Keena, and I hate the darkness. Still, I have accepted it, because to not accept it would just make it harder. How do you feel?"
I looked at her. "I've accepted it to. I'm not sure I can not accept it, since it's going to happen regardless. I'm not really scared, just sad. I'm not sure what to expect."
"Expect peace. I am not sure what is next, but I am hopefully it is so much better than this place. And there is no need to be sad. We will all be there with you soon after." She pulls me into her arms, and I have to hold back my tears.
I enjoy the next few days, and I feel as though I grew closer to my family and friends in those days. Yet, suddenly, the day is upon me and I am forced to decide where I want to go. I could stay with my family and have them watch me die. Or I could leave and die somewhere else. I chose the latter. If I am going to die, why not go in an exciting, mysterious way?
On that morning, my family stood around me as I said goodbye. I begin to turn and leave when my father says, "Where are you going to go?"
I smile. "It's a mystery."

Author note: I know, I know, this is a very depressing story, but I thought it would be interesting to tell. I read Billy Duffy and the Devil this week, which is about a man who makes a pact with the devil. The devil will give him a lot of money, but Billy will die after seven years. Bully outwits the devil and eventually dies of old age, but I thought I this idea of knowing when you will die was interesting. I also read a lot of fairy stories, so I wanted to incorporate that. The story of The Fairy of Dell mentions how fairies don't outwardly age much, but they do die of old age like humans, so I added that as well. I wanted to still make this story hopeful, even though it is about death.

Bibliography: This was inspired by the story of "Billy Duffy and the Devil" from Welsh Fairy-Tales and Other Stories by Peter H. Emerson. Inspiration was also taken from "The Fairy of Dell" From the unit Welsh (Emerson). 

Image information: "River Fairy" by ClaraDon, 2010. Web source: Flickr

2 comments:

  1. That is a great opening and sets the tone for the story. I was a bit confused when the narrator said she would not live past her 25th birthday, but she is 25 years old. In reality she should be 24 about to turn 25, correct? I think this is something people who are diagnosed terminally ill would understand and relate to Keena’s feelings. I think this is interesting a story and I would love to know more about the fairy culture you created. I think it would have made a great storybook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really liked this one and didn't find it that depressing. I thought it brought up a really good moral of living life to the fullest. I really did want to know how Keena ended up dying though. If it were me, I think I'd definitely choose dying at home. The way Keena did it makes me worry that her body won't be found for awhile, and so by the time her family finds it, it'll be partially decomposed. However excluding that line of thinking, your story was amazing, and I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete