Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Part B

Continuing on with this unit, I am really enjoying the short stories about fairies. In More Short Tales of Fairies, I like how the story of Robert Roberts is different than the past fairy stories and I find it comical that the fairies tried to squash him with rocks. I am wondering since the topic of fairies giving money is so prevalent that I should add it to my storybook, or should at least write a story about it. Apparently fairies love their money.
I'm not sure how I feel about the story of the Pellings. The man kidnaps a fairy and she agrees to marry him. That sounds pretty shifty to me. 


The story of Long-Lived Ancestors reminds me of the African stories I read a few weeks ago. The animals can talk and cross bread and they're very old.
The Short Tales of Wonder are a little odd. The story of the pig trough is interesting in that a fairy stabs the woman because she moved the pig trough in his way. It shows the spiteness of fairies.
The story of Billy Duffy and the Devil is such an interesting one. I feel like Billy should have learned his lesson the first time and should have lived his life better. Instead he was selfish. I think this idea is interesting though, that someone has an allotted time left on this earth, and if they screw it up, they don't get another chance. That could be good to write about.
The Story of John O'Groats is almost like the story of the prodigal son. It would seem though that the son does not have much conviction for his actions. However, it is still a nice story.
The Fishermen of Shetland is actually a really fun story. I love the addition of mermaids, which I haven't seen yet in any stories. I wonder what the merman looks like though, as he is able to go on land and it mentions him "standing." I also love the idea of fairies and mermaids working together. It is so interesting how the fairies are so concerned with helping the humans. That is not what I have pictures fairies to be like. I feel like there's a story in this, though I am not certain what yet. All in all, this unit gave me a lot to think about for my stories.


Bibliography: Welsh Fairy-Tales and Other Stories collected by Peter Emerson. Source link: Part B

Image information: "Oberon, Titania and Puck with Fairies Dancing" by William Blake, c.1786. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment