Monday, April 3, 2017

Reading Notes: Faerie Queen, Part A

Foe this week, I read the Faerie Queen: Britomart unit. I have always wanted to read Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene, and now I finally get a chance to. It is not at all what I expected, but I really enjoy it so far. I love the idea of Britomart disguising herself as a man and beating all of the men she encounters.
It is very comical that Britomart catches the eye of the Lady of Delight. Poor lady doesn't realize that she is flirting with a woman who she believes is a man. I love this idea and this would be such a fun story to write about. I do wonder what the Knight thought when he saw that Britomart was a woman. What if he falls in love with her? 



I love that Britomart was taught to fight from a young age. That is so unique for this age and so admirable. I can't decide if I like her obsession with Artegall so far. Just because a magic mirror showed him doesn't mean she has to love him. She is free to choose her own love. Perhaps I could write about that.
It's so interesting how the story begins with Britomart on her quest, and then transitions to giving the backstory. I like how this story is told so far.
Malbecco reminds me of the beginning of the story of Beauty and the Beast, when the beast refuses the enchantress shelter. Except this instance is on a much larger scale.
The adventure where Britomart walks through the fire is already turning out so exciting. These are the kind of adventures I want to read, not particularly ones which she is trying to find a man she's never met. I want to see Britomart as the strong, powerful woman she is. I do love how time and time again Britomart shows herself to be better than all of the men. She is constantly beating them, and I love that. It is so different from most stories. I love strong women, and they're some of my favorite to write about. 

So far, this story has so much inspiration to offer. It will be a hard decision choosing what to write about. 


Bibliography: Stories from the Faerie Quenne, by Mary Macleod, originally written by Edmund Spenser. Source link: Part A

Image information: "Britomart" painted by Walter Crane, 1900. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment