Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Reading Notes: Europa's Fairy Book, Part B

Continuing with Europa's Fairy Book, the next story was the story of The Swan Maidens, a story that alarms me a little. A man steals a woman's dress, and he won't give it back until he marries her, and then he never gives it back. It's no wonder she flies back home when given the chance. The whole story just seems wrong to me.
I like the story of Androcles and the Lion. I love this idea of doing something nice for someone and then they do the same. I also love how a wild animal could befriend a man. It's just a really great story and I would love to write about this concept. 


The story of A Visitor from Paradise is so comical. A woman mishears a man say he is from Paradise and she believes him. Then her husband to stop robbers from stealing from their house takes the door off. I just find the lack of common sense hilarious, but at least the story ended happily.
Inside Again is a very odd tale. A man and a snake argue over whether the man should be eaten or not. I would have just run away, but perhaps the snake would have caught up with him. I didn't like that in the end the fox saved the man's life and the man's dog eats the fox. It's as if the man did not learn his lesson at all.
The story of Johnnie and Grizzle is just Hansel and Gretel with different names. Although this time, instead of an evil step-mother, it is the children's own father who tries to kill them. The witch is also much more menacing, especially when she is chasing the children. It is a classic, but it really is a morbid story when you think about it. I'm sure I could use this for my own story, I'm just not certain how.
The story of Thumbkin is just like the story of Thumbling. It's just as odd as that one, except that the woman kills all of the other boys like Thumbkin, which is tragic. What would have happened if she had not? She would have had dozens of little boys running around. That would make for an interesting story.

Bibliography: Europa's Fairy Book by Joseph Jacobs. Source link: Part B

Image information: "Androcles" by Jean-Léon Gérôme, c. 1920. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment