Thursday, April 6, 2017

Storytelling Week 11: Britomart and the Knight

I laid on the bed, unable to sleep. The days events played through my mind. Being ambushed by six knights, being "rescued" by a strange knight who refused to tell me his name, and then being welcomed by the lady whose knights tried to kill me. Now, laying in one of her beds, I felt unsafe, like I could be ambushed again at any time. The strange knight was in the room down the hall, probably fast asleep. 
A cry from outside the room broke me from my thoughts. I had no time to put my armor on, but still I managed to take my sword and shield before running toward the noise. It was coming from the room the other knight was staying in. I opened the door, but couldn't believe my eyes.
Standing with a sword in hand, surrounded by the six knights, was a woman. She didn't look frightened, as Malecasta did hiding on the other side of the bed. Her eyes were narrowed and her jaw was set. But she was bleeding in the side and her face was pale.
I didn't stop to think any longer. I attacked the Knights from behind, and soon with the help of the woman, all of the knights were down.
The woman clutched her side and turned towards Malecasta, who was still cowering in the corner. "Do you still wish to have me?"
Malecasta said nothing, but instead quickly ran out of the room.
I stared at the woman. "Ah, so you are the knight?"
She nodded, and then cringed in pain. "Come," I said. "You can tell me everything after we bind your wound."
After searching the castle, we found a healer who after some convincing cleaned the woman's gash. Then we went back for our armor. I was fairly certain after Malecasta found out she was making advances towards a woman, she wouldn't be too eager to show her face to us. Still, neither one of us thought it a good idea to stay in this castle, so we took our horses and rode as the sun was just beginning to rise.
"Well," I said as our horse trotted away. "Now could you explain why a woman such as yourself is dressing as a knight and traveling alone?"
The woman glared at me. "I was not 'dressing as a knight,' sir. I am a knight. My name is Britomart, daughter of King Ryence. Since I could walk, I have been trained in combat. I know how to wield a sword, ride a horse, and throw a spear just as well as a man, perhaps better. I was the one who rescued you from those six knights if you recall."
"And I returned the favor just now," I told her.
"Yes, I suppose you did," Britomart said, almost smiling. "Thank you for that." She was silent for a moment, before she continued: "I am looking for a knight called Artegall. He has done me a great wrong and I am seeking revenge." She finished and looked away. I wasn't sure I completely believed the last part. "Sir Artegall is a good man I have heard. He is noble and true. I cannot imagine any harm he has done to you being intentional."
"Still," Britomart said, not looking up. "I must find him.
 I will continue to search until I have found him. Now that I have told my name and story, it is your turn." 
I sighed. "Very well, though there is not much to tell. My name is Albert of Gloucestershire. I have no reason to be in this land but to seek adventure."
Britomart nodded. "Do you have a destination in mind?" I shook my head. "Then we can travel together until you find your adventure." Before I could argue, she placed her helmet on her head and urged her horse to run. I had no choice but to follow. 





Days turned into weeks as we traveled together. In the beginning, it was awkward and neither of us knew what to say to the other. But as we grew more comfortable with 
each other’s presence,  we began to open up more to each other. She told me how her greatest fear was to become a woman who only weaves and cooks. I confessed my fear of becoming a merchant, like my father. We both longed for adventure and excitement.
Something in me began to change. Even while dressed as a knight, Britomart suddenly became more attractive to me the more I learned about her. I could not decide what exactly I was feeling, but I know I enjoyed being around her more and more. 

I could not tell what Britomart was thinking. She would often laugh or begin to speak informally, and then suddenly she would grow quiet and formal. I could only guess it meant that she saw me as inferior and did know wish to get too comfortable with me. 
After about two weeks, we finally encountered two knights, the first we had come across since leaving Malecasta's castle. I did not recognize either of them, and evidently they did not recognize us, for the one in front suddenly pointed his spear and rode his horse faster for a joust. 
"Leave this to me," Britomart said and she immediately drove her horse towards the knight. They clashed together and the knight fell off his horse. His friend cried out, "Sir Artegall!" 
Britomart stopped and stared at the knight. Why is she stopping? Is she not able to get the revenge she wanted. 
Instead of striking, Britomart pulled off her helmet to reveal her long golden hair and lovely face. Artegall and the other knight remained turned towards her, not moving. Then Artegall stood up and threw his shield down. "A woman!" He exclaimed, and not excitedly. "I was bested by a mere woman? Lady, how dare you impersonate a noble knight! I am ashamed."
Britomart was taken back and her mouth opened in surprise. Then quickly she narrowed her eyes and sneered. "Yes, sir. You were bested by a woman. A woman who is a knight. Never forget it." She turned her horse and almost ran into Artegall. Her horse trotted away. "Let us leave, Albert. My quest is finished."
I led my horse beside hers. Britomart reached her armored hand over and grabbed mine. My heart did a little flip as we rode off together, into the unknown future. 


Author's Note: While reading the Faerie Queene unit, I began to fall in love with Britomart's character. She is a strong, skilled woman who goes after her dreams. The only problem I had was that her dream is a man she has never met. For those of you who have not read the Faerie Queene, Britomart is a woman who looks in the mirror of Merlin and sees the man she is supposed to marry, Artegall. She then disguises herself as a knight in order to find him. She first encounters a knight (who I have named Albert) and he discovers her secret and the two form a friendship. They end up going their separate ways early on, but I thought that was too soon, and so I wanted the two to journey together until they meet Artegall. I wondered what might happen if the two began to fall in love as opposed to Britomart falling in love with a man she has never met. I wanted to write about this through the perspective of the Knight. I ran out of words as usual, so my story is not as in depth as I would have liked it. Still, I hope y'all enjoy it. 

Bibliography: This is a retelling of the story of Britomart from Stories from the Faerie Queene by Mary Macleod. From the unit Faerie Queene--Britomart

Image information: "Lady Knight" by Janaina (JanainaArt), 2014. Web source: DeviantArt

3 comments:

  1. I liked the premise of your story, but I think it was a bit under developed. I am sure that was due to word count issues. I was a bit confused at the beginning because there was no real explanation as to who Malecasta was and why the knights attacked her and Britomart. I kinda had to figure things out and make guesses as I read along. I did like the plot line though, but again the ending was a bit under developed and confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love the way you started your story. I think it's because I relate to it on so many levels. I love how you write about what's going through your character's mind. I haven't read a story like this. I might suggest separate a little more your dialogue from your storyline. It will help the reader follow the story. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this story! The first paragraph really drew me in and made me curious to find out what was going on with these mysterious knights. I loved Britomart and how she chose to become a knight as a woman even when it went against the norm. I am glad that you decided to have her and Albert grow closer, rather than have her leave him for a man she didn’t even know. Great work!

    ReplyDelete