Monday, April 10, 2017

Reading Notes: Welsh Fairy Tales, Part A

For this week's reading, I chose Peter Emerson's Welsh Fairy Tales. It has a lot of good information about fairies. The first story, The Fairies of Caragonan, is a really fascinating story because the fairies are good and the Queen acts as though the humans are her subjects also. I'm really interested in the queen's daughter and what she is like. I only get a glimpse of her from this story and I'd like to know more about her. Perhaps I could write about her myself.
Three Short Tales of Fairies is interesting because it shows different sides of the fairies. The first set shows male fairies who care about the old blacksmith. This seems to be the first mention I have found of male fairies. The second set shows fairies who get their revenge after a man mistreats their gift. That could be interesting for a story. The third shows children turning into fairies. This is interesting, because I didn't know humans could turn into fairies. I wonder how that process works. 


Next are Three More Tales of Fairies. The first story is interesting because the fairies seem very generous and fun, and they live underground. However, it is odd that the old man is not able to mention that he got the gold from the fairies. I wonder why the fairies do not like people telling others that the fairies gave them money. Perhaps they do not want it to become known. The last story is very intriguing, because I'm writing about changelings. The reason the fairies switched one of theirs for the woman's child is because once again they were angry that the woman told her husband where she got the money from.
I really don't like the Story of Gelert, probably because I hate when animals die. It is such a sad story and I wish the prince didn't kill Gelert.
The Origin of the Welsh is an interesting story, because once again fairies came from other beings, this time birds. I am wondering if fairies existed before this or if this is meant to be the creation of fairies. It is interesting either way.
The story of the Crows is intriguing, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It is cool how crows seem to foretell the future. I could use that in a story.
Fairy of the Dell is a really great story. I like how the fairies are against evil magic and how they want to help people. I am also glad the witch became good and was redeemed. One thing that I thought was interesting was that the queen said that fairies die of old age, but they themselves do not age outwardly. That is a really unique idea and I may use that for my story. All in all, this unit has been very good so far, 

Bibliography: Welsh Fairy-Tales and Other Stories collected by Peter Emerson. Source link: Part A

Image information: "Take the Fair Face of Woman, and Gently Suspending, With Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending, Thus Your Fairy is Made of Most Beautiful Things" by Sophie Anderson. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment