Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Reading Notes: Faerie Queen, Part B

Continuing with the Faerie Queen unit, I had many random thoughts while reading. For starters, it's such an interesting idea to make abstract ideals into physical beings.
Female friendships are my favorite things to read about. There's so much drama going on in this story. I love how knights keep trying to fight Britomart and she continually beats them all.
So Britomart is even better than Artegall? That is such a unique element to a story and I love it. Artegall seems a little prideful though. Instead of accepting defeat, he is brooding over it, which is a little childish. I wonder what he will do what he finds out the knight who defeated him is Britomart. Will he still want to be with her? I think this could be an interesting story to write about, especially to show how prideful he is.
This beauty pageant is much more interesting than any one nowadays. Not only do the women have to be beautiful, but they also have to be true and honest. I like this idea, but I have a hard time believing that all of the women except for Amoret are dishonest and false.
The House of Care is really odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it. If this is meant to be the personification of care, why are his servants being so rude?
I don't like how Artegall and Scudmour are both wanting revenge against Britomart, when she did nothing to them. It adds suspense to the story, which is really good. The big reveal is very suspenseful as well, as it is unclear what will happen next. I am glad at least they discovered Britomart's identity before they killed her. 



I actually really love how angry Britomart is, because it shows just how stubborn and proud she is herself. She is not a woman who takes defeat lightly.
Scudmour still calls Britomart "sir." I find that amusing.
I am glad Britomart and Artegall have time to really fall in love with each other, not just with each other's looks. I still wonder what happened to the first Knight and still think she could have fallen in love with him.
What happens to Amoret? I am in suspense to know. Is that how the story is meant to end? Perhaps I could write an ending to it and write about what happens to Amoret and how she is found. That would actually be really fun to write about. 

The Faerie Queen, while not actually having a faerie in the story, was still a really interesting story, and I found a lot of inspiration from it. 


Bibliography: Stories from the Faerie Quenne, by Mary Macleod, originally written by Edmund Spenser. Source link: Part B

Image information: "Spenser's Faerie queene. A poem in six books; with the fragment Mutabilite" by Walter Crane, 1895. Source link: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment