Monday, April 17, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Hunt), Part A

This week I chose to read Margaret Hunt's selection of the Brothers Grimm tales. The first story was Hansel and Grethel. I had no idea that Hansel and Grethel had a step-mother and that she intentionally wanted to abandon the kids so they'd die. I wouldn't have been surprised if she wanted to eat them also. A very morbid story just became even more morbid. The rest of the story I recognize. I like how Hansel and Grethel were still able to rely on each other even though their parents abandoned them. I also like how Grethel was the one to defeat the witch and save her brother. I enjoyed the happy ending. I'm sure there are many things I could do with this story, especially with the relationship between brother and sister.
The next story was Thumbling. I actually only know the female version of this tale, so this was a surprise. Still, it is so interesting how the woman gave birth to a tiny little human, but I am glad that his parents love his regardless. I also love how clever Thumbling is. However, I didn't expect Thumbling to get eaten by a cow and a wolf. That is so unpleasant and disturbing, I was afraid he was going to have to come out the other way. Thankfully, that didn't happen and the story ended well.
The story of Allerleirauh is not what I expected. I am at least relieved that everyone else thinks incest is wrong, even if the King can't see it. I like the plot of the story, that each time there is a ball Allerleirauh puts on a new dress. I only wonder what her father was thinking after she left. I love these kinds of rags to riches stories, especially since this one is different in that she is already royalty, but doesn't appear to be at first. I would love to write a story about a prince or princess who goes missing and is later found.




Bibliography: Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm collected by Margaret Hunt. Source link: Part A

Image information: "Allerleirauh" by Arthur Rackham. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment