Monday, April 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Europa's Fairy Book, Part A

For my last week of readings, I chose Europa's Fairy Book by Joseph Jacobs. The first story was The Cinder-Maid. I love the story of Cinderella. It is one of my favorites, because I love the idea of an ordinary girl becoming a princess. In this story, Cinderella's father is still alive, and I am not sure why he does not stop his new wife from mistreating Cinderella. It makes no sense, and can't understand why a loving father would put up with this. I like the idea of more than one ball. It reminds me of the story of Allerleirauh. The ending is so morbid. I cannot imagine wanting to marry someone so badly that one would cut her own foot. Still, I love the ending when Cinderella gets married to the prince, and I'm glad he at least knew what she looked like. This story was so magical, though, and I would love to write a story like this.
Beauty and the Beast is another one of my favorite stories. I love the theme of falling in love with a person gradually. This story, while not like the Disney version, is a really great story and I love how the Beast was kind in this one. This is a story I would love to write about, as it can be used so many ways. 


The next story was The Language of Animals. This story is just like the story of Joseph in the Bible. It was sad that Jack's father grew to hate him, but it ended well. There is a really interesting theme of talking to animals which would be fun to write about.
A Dozen at a Blow. This story is so interesting. I like how the tailor is so clever in deceiving the giants and making himself look more powerful than he is. Unicorns aren't evil though, so this is an odd twist in this story. I actually like how the princess didn't just allow herself to be handed over to anyone, but I'm glad they lived happily ever after still.
The last of this part was The Earl of Cattenborough. This is such a great story. I love how Miss Puss cares about Jack and is helping him. She is so intelligent and cunning. I do wonder how the King did not realize that the fields or the castle did not belong to Jack. That seems like a stretch. Still, this was a really good story and I enjoyed Miss Puss. It would be interesting to write a story like this.

Bibliography: Europa's Fairy Book by Joseph Jacobs. Source link: Part A

Image information: "Beauty and the Beast" by Warwick Gobble, 1913. Web source: Wikimedia Commons
 

No comments:

Post a Comment