Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Hunt), Part B

Continuing on with the stories from the Brothers Grimm, the story of Bearskin is one I am not familiar with, but it is entertaining. It's always interesting to focus on a hero after their adventures, because sometimes they place their identity in their adventures. It would be cool to write about that kind of thing and how a hero feels bored after they have won. I loved how the youngest daughter looked past Bearskin's appearance and saw his heart and how she was sad that he left. It was incredibly touching and I would love to do something with this for my own story. It almost has a beauty and the beast feel. It is sad though that the other sisters killed themselves because of it.
The next story was Hans the Hedgehog. I basically imagined Hans as Sonic the Hedgehog, which actually makes him seem less odd in my mind. This was such a weird story. I am shocked that Hans knew that his father didn't want him and that he left and was fine with leaving. It is also odd that he was able to become a man, as I didn't expect that. Still, it was kind that the princess married him even though he was half hedgehog.
Last was the story of Snow-White and Rose-Red. So this is not the same Snow White the princess. Still, I enjoyed the sister's relationship. The bear was an interesting character, and I always love talking animals who are good. The ending was interesting, and I am wondering how old the two girls are. I had pictured them around ten, so I was confused when they married grown men. Even so, I love stories with loving siblings, so this one was really good. I really enjoyed the tales of the Brothers Grimm and found a lot that I could use for my story.






Bibliography: Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm collected by Margaret Hunt. Source link: Part A
Image information: "Snow-White and Rose-Red" by Hermann Vogel. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment