Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Storytelling Week 5: The Genie of the Wonderful Lamp


10,000 years I have been kept in this prison with no one to summon me, no puny mortal demanding riches and power and women from me. How nice those 10,000 years were.

And then that foolish boy had to ruin it.

When my lamp was first rubbed, I thought it must have been a mistake. To my knowledge, I had been trapped in a cave where no one could ever disturb me. But as I came out of my lamp, I discovered a woman in my presence, holding the lamp.

"What would thou have with me? I am the Slave of the Lamp, and am yours to command." I always despised this part.
The woman suddenly fainted, and beside her a young boy, grossly dressed and filthy, grabbed my lamp from the woman and demanded, "Bring me something to eat!"

What a little brat. Nevertheless, I must do as I am told, so I created a grand feast fit for a king. The boy barely acknowledged me as I returned to my lamp. I could already tell from his uncouth manner and greedy face that it would not be long before I was summoned again.

I was correct, however all the boy did was invoke me every so often to give him food. Each time he did, I became more accustomed to him and grew to despise him less. All he seemed to want was to feed himself and his mother. The greed I had seen before I quickly learned was hunger.

With this being all that was required from me, I grew to enjoy my time with the boy. He even began to speak to me, inquiring about my life. I learned his name was Aladdin, and a few years later I learned he had fallen deeply in love with the princess. After he saw her, he rubbed my lamp and awoke me.

"What is thy will, young master?"

I was greeted with a grand smile. "Genie, I have just seen the most beautiful woman in the world. I wish to make her my wife. I command you to cause her to fall in love with me as well." He smiled even more and waited for me to make it so.

"Master, I cannot make anyone fall in love with another. It is out of my power to do so. My sincerest apologies."

The smile disappeared and was replaced with a glare. "You are under my command. You will make her love me."

Crossing my arms, I grew myself in size and towered over Aladdin. "You foolish boy, I will do no such thing! I have no power to do so, however, I have do possess the power to smite you if I please."

Aladdin lowered his head. "Very well. I will win her a different way." He sulked away and did not return to me until a few months later.

As he rubbed my lamp, I exited and asked him again, "What is thy will, young master?"

Aladdin looked crestfallen. "The Sultan, as I have told you, promised me his daughter. But he has broken that promise, and has given her to the grand-vizir's son to be married. I command you to bring the bride and her bridegroom to me tonight."

I thought this was a foolish request, however this I was unable to refuse. "As thou wish, master." Therefore, at midnight, I gather the newly wedded couple in their marriage bed and brought them hither to Aladdin.

"Good, genie," the young master said to me. "Now take this newly married oaf outside in the cold and make sure he stays until dawn." Grudgingly, I did as I was commanded and shut the poor fellow out in the freezing night. Before I returned to my lamp, I watched as my master climbed into bed with the terrified princess.

Aladdin commanded this once more the next night, and I unwillingly made it so. Only once, however. I thought perhaps guilt caused him to cease, but within a few weeks, he summoned me again to grant him riches in order to win the princess. It would seem our little stunt scared the groom away. I did as the master commanded and delivered to him eighty slaves, with eighty golden basins full of fine jewels. They were fit for a grand king. I bid them to follow the mother to the palace.

As soon as they left, Aladdin began to pace back and forth. "What if this doesn't work, genie? I feel as though my heart will break if I cannot have her."

I said nothing, but stayed with him until his mother returned. "The Sultan has granted your request, my son! He wants you to come quickly to meet him."

Aladdin's eyes suddenly grew larger and began to breathe hard. He looked down at his ratted clothes. "Genie, I can't go before the Sultan like this," his voice was strained. "Made me a scented bath. And an embroiled habit greater than the Sultan's. And a grand horse, and twenty slaves. And six beautiful slaves for my mother, and ten thousand gold pieces in ten purses. I need to be so magnificent that the Sultan will beg me to take his daughter."

"As thou wish, young master." And I made it all so.

Aladdin did in fact win the princess, and soon he came back to me requesting a grand palace. I created a glorious home for him and his new wife. To see the boy so happy and in love was a refreshing sight from how my previous masters had been, so full of greed and lust. He gratefully thanked me for all I had granted him. I oddly felt great joy for the boy. I had grown too fond of him it would seem.
I spent the rest of their lives with Aladdin and his wife, until the past me onto their son, my new master, who was as passionate as his father.



Author's note: While reading the story of "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp," I had many thoughts about the character of Aladdin. Much like the Disney version, Aladdin acquires the magical lamp and uses the genie inside to help him win the princess. At first I thought Aladdin to be very childish and greedy, but over time I grew to like him more. I wondered what the genie must have been thinking throughout the story, so I decided to write a story from his perspective. 

Bibliography: This is a retelling of the story of "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" from Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang. From the unit Arabian Nights

Image 1 information: "Jinn Magic." Web source: Max Pixel

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ Sorry, deleted my comment because I made a typo!

    Well done, as usual! I didn't know if I liked Aladdin at first; I did, but then once he got angry at the genie, I didn't, but then you proved me wrong in the end. I do like the genie more, though! I enjoy how you went and described its thoughts. You did well with expressing how he felt in his perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique perspective on this story! I really love that you explained the whole history from the genie’s point of view and gave us his thoughts about the young Alladin. I loved the movie Alladin when I was a kid but I don’t remember much of the details, so it’s probably about time to watch it again. Lol. I think Alladin got a little foolish by forcing the princess into his bed but things all worked out in the end! I thought this was a wonderful way to tell the story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aladdin is my favorite Disney story, so I loved this one from the beginning! I love how you showed Aladdin's "greed" and then explained how it was just hunger. I also loved the genie's internal thoughts throughout the story. They really helped add some humor to the story, and I was definitely happy when Aladdin did in fact get the princess. It was so creative to tell the story from the genie's perspective! It made for a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an adorable story to read. I just seemed like he forced his way into her life and only won her over with riches and wealth. I did not like how he forced her into bed with her. It did work out in the end and I also liked how you chose to show it from the point of view of the genie.

    ReplyDelete