Monday, February 20, 2017

Reading Notes: Ozaki's Japanese Fairy Tales, Part A

For this week's reading, I chose to read Ozaki's Japanese fairy tales. The story of My Lord Bag of Rice is an interesting one. I like Hidesato and how he seeks out adventure. I also admire his courage, because if I had seen a huge dragon in front of me, I might have ran for it. I really like the description of the palace in the lake. I would love to expand on it and create a world with it. I think it's awesome that Hidesato used his brain in order to kill the centipede. I really like how this story explained how Hidesato got his title. It is always interesting to learn the origins of a name, and I could see myself writing a story about this concept.
The Adventures of Kintaro, The Golden Boy is really fascinating. So many stories I have found contain children who have remarkable strength. It is also interesting how the animals are wrestling each other. I think that this could be a cool story. This was a great story for a hero, a humble one to say the least. I like how Kintaro was able to become a samurai. I think it would be interesting to write a story of a general looking for boys to train, but instead of taking them willingly, he takes them by force. 



The Man Who Did not Wish to Die is an interesting story. I think it resonates with a lot of people who are scared to die. I was hoping the author would mention how living forever can be a really bad thing, and he did. Living forever sounds dreadfully boring, and I like that the author realized this. I could write a story about a people who never die, but want to. There was also a great deal of suspense in the story, which I enjoyed. I'm glad in the end Sentaro learned to be content with the time he is given.

Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki. Source link: Part A
Image information: Ozaki's Japanese Fairy Book by Kakuzo Fujiyama, 1908. Web source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment