Monday, February 20, 2017

Reading Notes: Ozaki's Japanese Fairy Tales, Part B

Continuing with Ozaki's fairy tales, the story of the Goblin of Adachigahara is very odd. I didn't completely understand the old goblin woman and why she was reluctant to house the priest or why she kept him alive for so long if she all she wanted to do was to eat him. It was an interesting story, and certainly suspenseful, but didn't make a whole lot of sense. Perhaps the old woman did not want to eat him initially, or sometime to that affect. It would be interesting to try to write a story in favor of the old woman.
The story of the Orge of Rashomon is so strange. What is with people portraying old women as monsters in disguise? I wonder where this idea came from. It would be something cool to write about.
The story of Princess Hase is beginning to sound like Cinderella. How tragic that Hase lost her mother at such a young age, but I love that she remained kind. That has always been my favorite thing about Cinderella. It is horrible that the stepmother killed her own child be accident. Yes, it was her own fault, but it is still sad. This story is also quite like the story of Snow White when the man refuses to kill the princess and she hides out in the woods. I think it is horrible that despite having all the esteem and doing such amazing things, Hase is forced to live in hiding because of her jealous stepmother. I am so glad for the ending, since I love happy endings. It wrapped up the story nicely. I enjoyed this story and think it would be fun to write a story of my own like this, although I am not sure exactly of the details just yet. 

All in all, Ozaki's fairy tales, while extremely odd, were a very good source of inspiration.



Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki. Source link: Part B
Image information: "Chujo-hime" by 
 Yoshitoshi, 1881. Web source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment