Sunday, February 12, 2017

Feedback Focus


I tried out three techniques in order to help me concentrate on the stories I read so I can give good feedback about the story. I like reading aloud to hear how the word sound. I have done this technique a few times, although it was more for fun than analysis. I know I noticed names that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I was able to hear how the sentences flowed together. I feel I have a good awareness of the story, because reading aloud caused me to read the story slower and more in depth. I am not sure if this technique was better than reading it silently, though. The copy and delete technique worked pretty well for me. I was able to note my thoughts after each paragraph. I'm not sure if I noticed more than reading out loud, but I wrote more than I did. I think this technique would work better with making notes about the story, but reading out loud may help me notice more. The timer technique felt a little long, but I like the idea of reading the story two or three times in order to get the most out of the story. The copy and delete strategy was the most useful, then the timer one, then the reading out loud one.
I think all three of these strategies helped me see each story in a different light and helped me pick up on certain details in each story. For the copy and delete strategy, the advantage is being able to instantly write down my notes about the story. The disadvantage is having to stop after each paragraph, which can disrupt the story. For the timer strategy, the advantage is reading the story multiple times and picking up on different aspects of the story each time. The disadvantage is the reading seems to be too long, at least for the size of the story. For the reading out loud strategy, the advantage is hearing how the story flows and picking up on how words sound. The disadvantage is I am not sure it made much of a difference in how I read the story.
I would certainly like to try a combination of all three. Perhaps I could read aloud the story a few times and write notes about each time I read it and what I noticed. I am confident these techniques will help in my reading notes and also when reading classmates' works. 


Image information: Cactus Reading taken by Sergey Klimkin, 2015. Web source: Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment