Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Storytelling Week 4: Death by Marriage

"Till death do us part"

I knew I would regret saying those words as soon as they came out of my mouth.

I put off marriage as long as I could, but eventually it needed to happen. I made certain I chose the most healthy, least annoying man in my town to be my husband. Perhaps then I could have a chance.

I thought wrong.

A few months after our wedding, my husband died from illness, taking me with him. I tried to leave the city, but too many people have tried this before and the king made sure I didn't leave. See, the king believed because of the "love" between a husband and wife, if one died, the other was buried with them. A merciful act, supposedly, so that they would not have to live on alone.

But I didn't love my husband. Certainly I was sad when he died, but I could very well go on with life without him. This I tried to explain to the king, who replied, "I understand that you are scared, young woman, however you would not be able to survive without him for very long. I am helping you, even if you cannot see it."

He was not helping. He was a sick man who took pleasure in taking the lives of his people. He was a tyrant, but one who held the fear of the people. They've seen what he has done to people who lost their spouses; I can only imagine what he would do to rebels.

So, three days after my husband's death, as they prepared to lower him into the grave, I said my last goodbyes, as I would be going with him.

"We come to mourn for Sara," the king proclaimed in an emotionless tone, "whose husband Aaron died tragically. May they both rest in peace."

I could almost swear I saw a smile playing on his lips. But before I could say or do anything, two men placed me on a plank of wood next to my husband's wrapped body. They handed me some food and water, only enough for three days. Why they do this, I am not certain, however it seems to be the king's way of drawing out the torture. Then they handed me a knife, in case I wanted a swifter death. I was glad for the knife, if it meant I wouldn't have to suffer too long.

Down they began to lower us, my dead husband and me. I looked up at my last glimpse of the sky before the plank touched the ground and the men up above sealed off the opening. 


I was in darkness. Why they couldn't have given me a torch I don't know. Once my eyes adjusted, however, I could see a sliver a light coming from the opening on the ceiling. It was enough that I could see an outline of the food and water, and also of my husband's body.

I quickly grabbed the bag of food and moved farther away from the body. I didn't want to think about how that was going to be me in a few days. I felt me way around me, and soon found the knife in its sheath. I grabbed the hilt and pulled it out.

I could end it right now. It would be easy, and I wouldn't have to stay down here. I put the knife to my chest.

One.

Two.

No.

I can't give up without making sure it's my last hope. There must be a way out of here. So I searched through the cave with minimal light to guide my way.

It had to have been at least three or four days that I searched. My food was almost out and I was out of hope.

The covering of the opening suddenly came up and light shone throughout the cave. I smiled and almost laughed at the sight of it, before I realized why it was opening. Another person had died, and their spouse was about to die as well.

A thought occurred. This person would have food and water. They were already going to die, so I could put them out of their misery, take their food, and continue for a little longer. I grabbed my knife and moved back into the shadows so the person being lowered wouldn't see me.

As soon as their plank touched the ground, the covering shut and everything was pitch black again. I breathed in and out until I could finally see somewhat in front of me. The person stayed still, and I think their back was to me. Slowly and quietly I crept behind them, my knife raised. Once I was close enough, I raised my knife higher for the plunge.

I stopped there. What was I doing? I'm no murderer. I can't take their life to save myself. I back away and dropped my knife.

The person must have heard, because they turned. "Is someone there?" It was a man.

I hesitated before speaking. “It’s Sara. I’m still alive.”

“Sara! How are you still here? It’s Terrence.”
“Terrence?” The boy I grew up with, who was always so quiet and shy, married? “I’m so glad to hear your voice.” I was almost in tears. I wasn’t alone anymore. I told him what I had been doing for the past few days.

“So, is there a way out?” He asked.

“I haven’t found one yet…”

Terrence stood up and grabbed his sack of food. “Well then, let’s keep looking. Here.” He handed me some food.

“No, that’s yours.”

“But you need it more.”

I smiled a little and took the food, my stomach growling hard. There were a few more tunnels I hadn't searched, so I lead Terrence down them.

It had been about a day and we still hadn't found a way out. I was beginning to lose hope of escaping. Suddenly, Terrence began to run forward.

“What is it?” I called after him.

“I thought I heard something,” he yelled. So I ran after him, not really hoping for much.

The cave began to get lighter, however, and before I knew it, I could see an exit. Tears began to fill my eyes as I ran out of the cave and into the world. The forest ahead of me was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen.

“We did it, Terrence. We’re free. We’re alive.”





Author's note: I read the Voyages of Sindbad for this week's reading. One story that stuck out to me was the story of Sindbad's fourth journey, when he arrives on an island which has a law that when a husband or wife dies, their spouse is to also die. I thought this was an interesting concept, so I rewrote Sindbad's experience, but made Sindbad a girl and created her to have grown up on this island. I also wanted her to not kill the second person who comes into the grave cave, as Sindbad did. I wanted this story to feel more personal that Sindbad, and I hope I accomplished that. 

Bibliography: This is a retelling of the Fourth Voyage of Sindbad in the Voyages of Sindbad by Andrew Lang. From the unit Sindbad.   

Image 1 information: "Woman Standing at Cave Opening" by Joshua Sortino, 2015. Web source: Pexels
Image 2 information: "Cave View River Valley out of Stream Water" by Unsplash, 2014. Web source: Pixabay

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the most interesting stories I've read in this class so far!! I liked it a lot and at first, I was a little confused when you said that when her husband died, he took her with him. I had to reread, but then as I read on, I realized. It was a super intriguing concept and I was drawn to the story, as well as the main character. I'm glad she survived and kept to her morals, even though she was close to death. Really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a different tone than some of the other stories I have read so far in the course. Like the other commentator I was a little lost at the beginning of the story, but things began falling into line as I continued reading farther into it. To be able to retain one's morals when facing an impossible situation is certainly a pleasant story to read and the ending was an enjoyable one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that they were able to get out safely and before too long. I cannot believe that people had the power to actually did that, but I have heard that things like this happened in the past. Just because your spouse dies that does not mean that you cannot continue to live.

    ReplyDelete