Monday, February 6, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part A

I chose The Voyages of Sindbad for this week’s reading. I had not known much about the story of Sindbad, other than the Dreamworks' animated film, so I was eager to read this story. 

During Sindbad’s first voyage, I am left with so many questions, for instance, how did they not realize the island was a whale? How did Sindbad not get eaten by a shark? Why does the captain not recognize Sinbad? So far, although it is not realistic, this is an interesting story, and not what I expected.
In the second voyage, I enjoy the magical elements of this story, like the giant birds and giant snakes. I'm still finding it hard to understand why Sindbad is going through all of these voyages. It seems to be boredom which spurs him. It could be intriguing to write about a hero who is constantly doing heroic deeds, yet is constantly bored.
In the third voyage, Lang's description is really vivid. I love the way he describes the cyclops giant's appearance. It's much different that Homer's cyclops, even though it seems evident that Homer's Polyphemus from The Odyssey was the inspiration for this cyclops. I like that the story of Sindbad takes inspiration from Homer.
By the forth voyage, you would think Sindbad would get tired of almost dying all the time. After almost getting eaten by a giant and snakes, cannibals honestly seem the most terrifying. I wonder why cannibalism is so terrifying. Perhaps because humans are not meant to eat one another, and so when people do, it is horrifying. In addition to the cannibals, this voyage is the most interesting so far because of Sindbad’s marriage. Marriage as a death sentence is such an ironic plot. This would actually make an interesting short story. I'm not sure how I would go about writing about this, but I like the idea and the challenge.


The Voyages of Sindbad, Andrew Lang. Source link: Part A
Image information: "Sindbad's Storybook Voyage" by Joel, 2016. Web source: Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment