Monday, February 13, 2017

Reading Notes: Arabian Nights, Part B


Part B focused on the story of "Aladdin and the Wonderful lamp." This story is definitely different from the Disney version. I am wondering how old Aladdin is meant to be if he is supposed to have a trade by now. I also wonder why the magician shut the cave when he could have waited until Aladdin got out. Either way, I like the introduction of Aladdin. Aladdin just seems like a innocent young boy.
Never mind, Aladdin isn't innocent. Not only does he creep on the princess and lust after her, he makes the princess be with him when she doesn't want to. This is certainly not the Disney hero that I grew up with. That concept is interesting though, how Aladdin does not possess the character of a hero, and instead is selfish and greedy.
I don't know whether to be happy or angry that Aladdin won the princess. He did it in such a arrogant way that it is almost irritating. Does the princess not recognize him at all? It is because of his laziness that he remained so poor and it is his laziness that made him rich. Still, I love the theme of the rags to riches story and I like that Aladdin was able to make himself royalty. I only wish he had done it with more class and modesty. Perhaps I can write a character more like that.
Now Aladdin's story is getting interesting. I do feel sorry for Aladdin that everything is taken away from him, and I find myself wanting him to get it all back from the magician. I like how Aladdin was able to deceive the magician. I also like that the princess remained faithful to Aladdin no matter what.
I am curious to what the genie meant by saying that the roc is his master. I am also fascinated with the genies, who seem to have no other purposes that fulfilling the wishes of Aladdin. What do they think of Aladdin? Do they get tired of granting wishes all the time? Perhaps I could write a story from their perspective.
Even though it is nothing like the Disney version, I did like the story of "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp." It was a magical story and one that gave me a lot of inspiration for stories.

Arabian Nights, Andrew Lang. Source link: Part B
Image information: "Aladdin Night Scene Background" by Jolly Yau (Greyfaerie4), 2014. Web source: DevaintArt

No comments:

Post a Comment