Monday, February 6, 2017

Reading Notes: The Voyages of Sindbad, Part B

Continuing The Voyages of Sindbad, I found more fascinating stories. The fifth voyage is the most odd so far. An old man uses his legs to force Sindbad to carry him. This is certainly not a story one hears every day. I appreciate the uniqueness of this, as a hero is not normally reduced to carrying a goblin around. This is certainly not something I would think of.
By the sixth voyage, I am even more unsure of why Sindbad doesn't just stay home. I wonder what his friends and family think after hearing all about his voyages and then seeing that he keeps wanting to go on more voyages. I would think he was insane. Perhaps I could write a story from one of their perspectives. Every time, Sindbad is the only one who survives out of the crew. It seems he is either lucky or this is all very unrealistic. Without him, though, the story would not continue. I am glad Sindbad is able to find friends and help when he most needs it, although it makes the story more interesting when he makes enemies instead of friends.
The seventh voyage is very interesting, and with pirates! It's horrible that Sindbad had to kill an elephant. I wonder what would have happened if he had refused. He does not seem to be in a hurry to escape enslavement, which is odd to me. I honestly think the elephants should have killed him for him having killed many of them. However, I suppose there would be no story of he died there. I'm glad though in the end, Sindbad was able to live a happy life.
This story is completely different that the Dreamworks version, but it was still very good and interesting. I found some good ideas, although not as many as I usually do. Hopefully the story that comes out of Sindbad is a good one.




The Voyages of Sindbad, Andrew Lang. Source Link: Part B
Image information: "Rocweb" by Henry Justice Ford, 1898. Web source: Wikipedia Commons 

No comments:

Post a Comment