Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Storytelling Week 2: The Tragedy of Medusa




He's coming to kill me.

She sees him, still a distance away, approaching her cave, sneering in disgust as he walks past the figures outside the cave, the ones she has tried so hard to forget, but ones which she cannot bring herself to destroy.

I never wanted anyone to die.

A memory sparks in her mind, distracting her from her present situation. A memory of the time before she was a hideous monster. She was so beautiful, and she knew it. But so did everyone else, which was the problem. So many men tried to seduce her. She was of course not interested in any of those oafs. She had pledged herself to the virgin goddess, Minerva. With a lump in her throat she recalls the many times men tried to force themselves on her, but by the gods she managed to survive.

Until it was then a god who forced himself on her.

Neptune.

She was such a loyal servant to Minerva. Even in her vanity, all she wished for was to please her goddess. And Minerva had been so kind to her, blessing her when men would try to violate her, or when women would bully her out of jealousy. When she was in Minerva's temple, she felt peace and love.

Until that scoundrel Neptune shattered those feelings.

He's getting closer.

She remembers the day so vividly, for it was the day her life changed completely. Serving Minerva was her life, and for the goddess she remained chaste. But Neptune cared little for her vow. He is a god, he takes what he craves, and he craved her. Despite her numerous attempts at warding him away, telling him she belonged to Minerva, he would not listen.

She closes her eyes, not wanted to relive the shame, the disgrace. He had violated her, in a holy temple. Her screams were not heard, not even by the goddess herself, not until it was too late. Once he had finished with her, he left her on the hard floor of the temple, stained.

He's so close now.

There is nothing to be done. She can only run farther into her cave. She doesn't want to hurt another human, but it is her only way of survival. Minerva had made sure of that.

Minerva.

She was so kind. As soon as Neptune had vanished, she appeared, tears in her own eyes. "Oh my poor child. You were not meant for such degradation. I am so sorry. There is nothing that can be done. My uncle cannot be contended with. However, I can make certain this never happens to you again." Minerva waved her hand, and Medusa felt her head being contorted. As quickly as it began, it stopped, and Medusa could hear hissing noises in her ears. She touched her hair, and flinched back to feel the scaly skin of a snake.

"Why-?"

"I have changed your appearance. No longer are you a beautiful maiden, but now your face is as hideous as a monster's, and your eyes now have the power to change men and beast to stone. No man will ever harm you again, my child. You will live a life of isolation, but you will be safe."

She was wrong.
Medusa was never safe. Great "heroes" from all over the world came to her dwelling, looking for glory by slaying the mighty Medusa. So far, no one had succeeded.

He's different, though. He has more motivation than the others.

He struts in proudly behind her, sword in hand, eager for bloodshed. She hides behind the wall, but he is coming for her.

All I have to do is turn. He will be stone and I will be safe.

But for how much longer? One day a hero will succeed in his quest. Why not him?

I'm so tired of hiding. I don't want to be a monster. I want to be free.


With a breath, she closes her eyes and steps out from behind the wall. With her back facing the man, she finally feels a peace which she had not felt since before she had changed. She opens her eyes to find Minerva standing in front of her, arms open.

"Time to rest, my child."

Medusa lifts her arms as well and embraces death as the man swings his sword towards her neck. There is no pain, only peace. 

Finally.




Author's Notes: The story of Medusa is one that has been retold in art, film, and literature for years. Most retellings depict Medusa as the villain and monster of the story. However, when you really read the story, Medusa is anything but a villain. She was put in a situation which she could not escape from, and is in reality the victim. I was inspired to see her this way a few years ago, when I saw this piece of art by Matt Rhodes. I wanted to take it further by rewriting her "punishment" as Minerva's way of saving her from more harm. I also chose to refrain from using her name until almost the end, so that she would not be connected with the image of the terrifying "Medusa." By looking at the story this way, Medusa's fate is a tragic and unfair one. 

Bibliography: This is a retelling of the story of Perseus and Medusa in Ovid's Metamorphoses.

Image information: Medusa by Riccardo Rullo, 2014. Web source: Deviant Art

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this story. Honestly, I never really did care for Medusa, but you wrote her in such a human way that I like her now. I think you really captured the tragedy that is so commonly seen in mythology and the ending broke my heart; I didn't want her to die, but I wanted her to be at peace and I thought that was absolutely beautiful. That was wonderful and I'm glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story! Its so heartbreaking and beautiful. I had always viewed Medusa as a tragic figure so thank you for finally writing her as the victim. I love how how you made her confident and insecure, arrogant and devoted. You truly made a someone that is human, she has so many dimensions to her that she real rather then a literary figure. Its amazing that made Minerva a comforting figure who understands circumstances rather then a vengeful goddess who only sees the results, it truly makes one see why people would have worshiped her. The only question I have is what would have happened if Perseus, I assume that that is your 'hero', noticed that Medusa was hiding rather then attacking? Could he have been a merciful figure and spared her, maybe fallen in love, the whole beautiful inside and out? Despite the tragic ending and the morbid plot as a whole you have made a stoy that resounds in the helplessness in us all. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story was so amazing. I never thought that I would feel sad and hurt for Medusa. The way you portrayed her and told her story made me sympathize for her. I loved how you had her recalling memories, while also thinking about what was happening in the present moment. The small sentences that broke up the story made it seem more suspenseful and more captivating. I was waiting to see if she would turn him into stone or not. You did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This story is truly fantastic. I loved the way you weaved in the story line with the italics line. At first, I didn't understand quite where the story was going and how it fit with Medusa, but you did a great job of tying it all together. I love the end, even though it is unfortunate that Medusa had to die. But you wrote a beautiful story! I wish I could write as well as you could!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously loved this! I don't think I've ever read any story where Medusa was not an evil creature trying to kill people, which is a shame. I really liked your interpretation, and I felt so incredibly bad for Medusa. I almost want to go and do extra reading just to read the true story of Medusa so that I don't vilify her anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this story. You always her about how Medusa was evil and she had to be killed, but no one talked about how she turned that way. Athena did not help her instead she caused her more pain after she changed her. The gods do not help especially in this case, they only made her life more difficult.

    ReplyDelete