Thursday, January 19, 2017

Storybook Favorites: Changelings and Mermaids


        The first storybook I chose is "Changeling of the Seasons." I had never heard the legends of changelings before I read these stories. I was intrigued by the title, specifically because of the reference to seasons, and I was even more intrigued when I read the introduction. I like how the introduction, and really the whole storybook, is narrated in first person, making it personal, and how it is also mysterious and causes the reader to want to know more. I chose this storybook because it was not a simple retelling of a fairy tale, but a unique and creative story that takes inspiration from other stories. The design of the site is very nice, as it is bright, but also a little dark and mysterious. I appreciate the beautiful artwork that the author chose for each page. Overall, this was a very creative storybook.
        The second storybook is "I Am Not my Brothers' Sister: A Changeling's Journey" by Shelby Stillwell. It was unintentional, but I chose another changeling story, and this one was just as creative as the previous one. The title was what really got me, as it was unlike most of the titles for the other storybooks. The introduction is beautifully written and immediately gives the reader sympathy for the protagonist as she struggles with her identity. I was interested in the story from the beginning, and the images helped with that. On the very top of each page is a photo of a girl's eyes, each a different color. This beautiful photo is captivating and caused me to want to know more. The storyline was so creative and great and one that kept me interested all the way through. I like how the author created her own story from old legends and stories. The other photos were interesting, however they had little to do with the plot itself and so I glazed over them.
        The last storybook is "Mermaids: An Eternal World of Waters" by Lorraina Robinson. This storybook is a retelling of tales of mermaids through the author's own story. I love mermaids, and so the title immediately caught my eye, and then the wonderful introduction kept me interested. It begins mysteriously and helps set up the rest of the story wonderfully. I love her use of description and how vivid it is. The photos she uses are just gorgeous and add so much to the story. The story itself is very good, as it is a way for the author to retell different stories about mermaids and connect them all. The ending was a bit abrupt, however with a short story that is bound to happen. I still appreciated the lovely layout and the creativity.


Image Information: Magical Book, Wallpapers-room. Web Source: Lydia's Mysterious Book

No comments:

Post a Comment