Friday, January 20, 2017

An Introduction to Growth Mindset

        This is my first time hearing about Carol Dweck and her growth mindset theory. It is a really fascinating way of looking at education, and one I had honestly never thought of before. I myself have always striven for A's in all my classes, and if I do not achieve them, I am devastated. I have gotten to the point where if I truly enjoyed the class and felt I learned a great deal, I can accept a B. However, I think focusing more on growing rather than passing is a much better perspective.
        I am not a fan of hard work, though when I do it, I feel very accomplished, whether that be school, or work, or life in general. After hearing what Dweck has said about learning, I realized I should be looking at this as a growth experience, one that will make me smarter and a better human being. I want to be able to seek out challenges, because they will make me stronger, no matter the outcome. This is a good perspective to keep in mind as I go throughout this class and other classes. They are there to make me better, and I should be excited for that. I hope to keep this mindset and learn more about it throughout this semester. 



Image Information: Laura Gibbs via cheezburger, 2016. Web Source: Growth Mindset Cats

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you got a lot from Carol Dweck! It's always super hard because people always say grades don't define you-- I get that because you could work so hard and still do poorly, but I mean, grades are still pretty important, you know? I hope that you do get a lot from your classes! I'm also really happy that you can accept a B as long as you enjoyed yourself; although we have never met, I can tell that you work really hard and do a good job! I hope your semester is going well :^).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought that grades do not define you is certainly a nice sentiment but it is one that is difficult to fully accept. While I agree someone can be a poor student while still putting in a great deal of effort into their studies, it would seem the business world as a whole does not agree with this sentiment. It would be nice if individuals were judged more on their own merits, rather than letters on a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete