Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

        I have definitely been pushed to be more creative in this class, which is not always comfortable to me. I have such a fear of putting myself and my work out in the open, and creative stories seem so much more personal than an ordinary analytical essay. By reading other students' stories, it has definitely made me want to write better and to be more creative. I am still very reserved when it comes to taking risks. I love trying new things, however I am always scared of failure. I still have to keep in mind Carol Dweck's mindset of learning and growing rather than succeeding. This class has definitely helped me want to hear criticism, as it is what will make me better. Positive feedback is great to hear and very encouraging, but it doesn't grow you. When I take that criticism and use it to better my work, it will help make me a better writer in the end. I certainly still have problems pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and this class has helped me to put myself out in the open.
        I've considered for so long to become a writer, and while I am definitely have a lot of growing to do, I do hope this class will help in improving my writing ability and pushing me to do things I would not normally do. I hope to continue focusing on learning and to never give up. If I cease trying, I will never achieve what I want. I also hope to put into practice this mindset in other classes and in life itself to become the best I can. I can certainly work on accepting criticism better in my other classes and in life. 



Image information: "Criticism" posted by Saunder G. on a Wikipedia page for his high school honors course. Web source: WHS Honors 

4 comments:

  1. I really saw myself as I read this post. I’m very introverted and terrified of leaving my comfort zone (and I typically don’t, although that is something I’m working on.) I wouldn’t say that I’m afraid of failure, per se but I am afraid of embarrassment, if that makes sense. It has taken me a long time to learn that with failure comes growth and without it, progress more often than not remains stagnant. So, I guess failure is a good thing in the long run, even if it’s not a pleasant one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you with the comfort zone thing; it's such an uncomfortable thing to do whenever you put yourself out there. And I understand with putting your creative stories out here! I'm not afraid to post it online, but I get really shy when it comes to showing people I know my work. I don't really know why, though. I guess it's like showing another side of you.

    You're doing awesome with your stories and I'm always glad to read them! Good luck with your growth; you have a great mindset B-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concerning the comfort zone I have the same feelings myself on this topic. This course has certainly tested one's ability to leave their comfort zone and to post their creative writings to such a public place. I am certainly uncomfortable with sharing my writings with people I know personally, due to the fear of it lessening their views of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand where you're coming from with being exposed and fearing the backlash/failure that is societies judgements. This class has also helped me open up to different aspects of things I didn't think I could do and it has given me some confidence in that I am not alone when writing from the heart or even in the creative sense. It's surprising that you haven't done much creative writing because you truly are good! I, too, want to be able to write a book one day and this class is slowly but surely helping with more ideas. If I had even more time, I'd love to invest further into the thought. Good luck with the rest of your semester and after!

    ReplyDelete