Monday, March 20, 2017

Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales, Part A

This week, I was very excited to read some Native American stories. I chose the American Indian Fairy Tales unit because the stories seemed interesting and unique. I was not disappointed. I really like how the story of Iagoo sets up the rest of the stories and helps make them more personal.
The story of how Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind is such a fun story. I love the enmity between the north and south winds, winter and summer. That is definitely a theme I would enjoy writing about. Perhaps the could be brothers or sisters fighting. I also really like how an ordinary man was able to conquer a powerful being. The story is very entertaining.
I like the description in the story of The Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds. It is very vivid and clear. I enjoy how different this story is, and how the hero is a worm. I am always fascinated by underdog stories, so this one was very fun. 


By the first section of the story, I knew I already loved the story of The Child of the Evening Star. I love how Oweenee chooses a man who is caring and compassionate, even if he isn't handsome. I feel like this could be easily twisted so that Oweenee is the unattractive one, but because of her heart she is the one who wins in the end. I certainly did not anticipate Oweenee's transformation. That is such an interesting element, and I actually really enjoy how they still love each other despite appearances. I am curious to why Wabeno cursed Osseo. Was it because he just hated him? Was it to teach Osseo a lesson? That would be a great story to tell. I also enjoyed the ending of the story and wonder what else happens to Osseo and Oweenee's son. Does he enjoy earth? Does he find love? I could write about that as well. These stories are so unique and gave me a lot to think about. 

Bibliography: American Indian Fairy Tales collected by Henry Schoolcraft. Source link: Part A.
Image information: "Inch worm" taken by Glen Edelson, 2009. Web source: Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment