Monday, March 20, 2017

Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales, Part B

Continuing with the American Indian Fairy Tales unit, the next story is The Boy who Snared the Sun. I wonder who are the parents of the girl and boy, if they think they are the only people on earth. This story is interesting, and reminds me of the African stories where the animals and the people are equal. I'm not sure what good the boy thought stopping the sun would do. That actually seems very foolish. This is an interesting story, and I'm almost more interested in the mention of the east wind than the actual story. I think it would be fun to write a story about each of the winds.
The story of How the Summer Came features more about the winds. I always like the idea of an eternal winter which is foiled and ends in summer. I know people live in cold icy places, but I always wonder how they live. I wonder what the land of summer is like, and if people there wished it would get colder. That could be a fun perspective to write about. What a sad ending, though. I wonder if there was someone up there who wanted winter and who showed kindness to O-jeeg. Perhaps I could write about that. 


The story of The Fairy Bride is such an interesting, yet somewhat confusing story. I love the idea of a girl who wants more than a normal domestic life. I enjoy how Neen-i-zu follows her dreams, and I hope she is happy with Evergreen and not his prisoner or captive. I wonder how their life together is. It would be fun to write a story like this, of a girl who finds love in an abnormal place. I am not certain where yet, but I could see myself writing it.

Bibliography: American Indian Fairy Tales, collected by Henry Schoolcraft. Source link: Part B
Image information: Picture of an Alaskan glacier. Web source: Max Pixel 



No comments:

Post a Comment