Thursday, March 23, 2017

Storytelling Week 9: Unconditional Love

There was once a couple who had ten daughters. Each had something special about her; some were incredibly beautiful, some were extremely intelligent, and some were very talented at certain arts. All were desirable, all except for the youngest, Adeline. She was ordinary and plain, and was often overlooked as a result.

However, one characteristic she did possess was her kind heart. All of the other sisters were either too proud or too vain to care about others. As she knew what it was like to feel overlooked and often looked down upon, she made sure to never treat anyone like that. She had few friends because of her plain nature and reserved personality, however the ones she did have were fiercely loyal and devoted to her because they could see her gentle, loving heart.

As the years passed and the sisters grew, one by one they began to get married. Whether it was for love is hard to say, however it was their appealing characteristics which attracted the men to the daughters. Soon, the youngest was the only to not be wed. Normally, this would be nothing to worry over, as Adeline was the youngest and so the last expected to be married. However, as much as her parents loved her, they could see that she was attracting no men to herself. Actually, she preferred to keep to herself and was not even actively seeking out a husband.

It came one day that a stranger, an incredibly attractive and wealthy stranger, visited Adeline's town. All of the inhabitants were completely captured by this fascinating stranger. Every lady, even those who were married, vied for his attention. Why he had come was not made clear, but what was clear was every single lady wanted him for herself. Every one except once again Adeline. She had already decided the stranger would not notice her, and so refused to make a fool of herself in front of him.

This actually made the stranger intrigued. He soon began to notice Adeline and how she refused to acknowledge him. One day he decided to meet her.

"Hello, miss," he said, running to catch up with Adeline. She was on her way home from picking up food from the market. She stopped and stared at him with wide eyes, unsure of what to do. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dallin."

It took a moment, but Adeline finally composed herself enough to reply back, "I am Adeline."

"What a gorgeous name, Adeline." Dallin bowed low and gave her a dashing smile that would have made any girl blush. It certainly made Adeline blush. "What does a lovely lady such as yourself do for enjoyment in this town?" He was flattering her quite a lot, for even though she was plain, she had pride for herself, unlike the other women.

Adeline looked down. "Not much I'm afraid. I have much housework to do, and I help my parents tend to their farm." There was something about Dallin which she wasn't sure about, but she did not know what. "Actually I have to get back to my parents to help cook dinner. I am sorry to go. It was good to meet you, Dallin." With that, Adeline turned and practically ran back home.

Dallin was left feeling confused. He was not accustomed to women running from him. It intrigued him. He made a mental note of where Adeline was headed, and determined to win her heart.

Days past into weeks, and in each one Dallin attempted to woo Adeline. He would often join her on her daily walk to and from the town. Her kind, gentle nature began to grow on him, and he actually enjoyed her company. Adeline herself became more comfortable with Dallin and his incessant flirting. They formed quite the friendship, and every girl who ridiculed Adeline suddenly found herself envying her.

It didn't take long for Dallin to decide that Adeline would make a perfect wife. She would be hardworking and a kind mother. He quickly went to Adeline's father and asked for his blessing. Adeline's father, who had feared Adeline would live to be an old spinster, immediately accepted Dallin's request.

Dallin was thrilled and ready to ask Adeline herself. The next day, as they were walking back from town, he stopped her and smiled. "Adeline. I want to ask you something." Adeline nodded. "I realize that I have only known you for a few weeks, but I feel I have learned all I need to know about you in those weeks." He kneeled down and took her hand. 



Adeline stared at him with wide eyes as he asked, "Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Adeline's heart pounded. On one hand, she had grown to like Dallin. He was handsome and intelligent. However, she knew she could never love him. There was already too much love in his heart for himself. "Before I answer," she said slowly, "I wish to know why you would chose me."

Dallin raised his eyebrows, but he quickly replied, "Because you are kind and hardworking. You would be a wonderful homemaker and mother."

Adeline sighed. "But do you love me?"

At that, Dallin blinked. "I like you a great deal. I thought you would be flattered a man such as myself would pursue a woman like you."

That was of course the wrong answer. Adeline took her hand away slowly. "I have enjoyed you friendship, Dallin. However, we could never make each other happy as a couple. You don't truly love me, and I don't love you. I want more from marriage than someone who is interested in me. I want love."

Dallin was speechless. Certainly Adeline was right. However, no one had ever rejected him, so this was a new experience to process. Adeline quickly ran to her home.

Adeline's parents, knowing Dallin's plan, were waiting for them. "Adeline!" Her mother exclaimed. "Where's Dallin?"

"I rejected him," Adeline said softly.

"What?" Her father stood up. "Why would you do such a foolish thing?"

Adeline found herself smiling. "Because I feel I deserve love. And one day I'll find it."

Her parents stared at her in horror, but Adeline knew she made the right choice. Everyone deserved to find unconditional love.



Author's note: I read a story from the American Indian Fairy Tales unit. It was the story of a girl named Oweenee who was very beautiful, but who refused every man because none of them were beautiful on the inside. She ends up marrying a poor, ugly man named Osseo because she can tell he is kind and loving. Osseo ends up being a handsome prince who was cursed and the two form a beautiful couple. I was intrigued by this story because Oweenee chooses Osseo because of who he is and not what he looks like. I liked this idea, but decided to twist it by making the female protagonist unattractive on the outside, but beautiful on the inside. I also decided on a whim to make uninterested in her lover, because it has become cliche to have a beautiful man fall in love with an ugly girl, even though I also enjoy those stories. I chose to twist the ending and make Adeline and Dallin not end up together, and to focus on unconditional love. Not every man who pursues a woman is truly in love with her, and every woman and man deserves to be truly loved.

Bibliography: This is a retelling of the story of "The Child of the Evening Star" from American Indian Fairy Tales, collected by Henry Schoolcraft. From the unit American Indian Tales


Image information: Image of a proposal from Openclipart-Vectors, 2017. Web source: Pixabay 


3 comments:

  1. I always like your stories! I was really worried that this would end up as a typical, handsome guy falls for the average, shy girl story, so I'm super relieved that you decided to change it up! I was like :/ when he said she'd be a good homemaker. I'm really glad that she stuck to her true self and I thought you ended it wonderfully! She was really likable.

    Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! Nice story! Interesting twist to make the girl unattractive. I actually was envisioning my own friend named Adeline during this. By society's standards, she is rather plain looking (wow, that sounds harsh), but she has a wonderful heart. Also, I totally did not expect that ending! I always like when stories defy the "happily ever after" trope. It is not too indicative of modern society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again,
    I have to say that I love this story. At first, I was saddened by Adeline’s rejection of Dallin. Mostly because I’m a big softy and a helpless romantic and I wanted them to get married and live happily every after. Lol. Once I finished the story though and read Adeline’s last piece of dialogue, I understood the reason completely. I think you did a fantastic job on this one, as usual. I enjoy reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete